Any VN teams BESIDES US and VC

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Postby Sleepy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:50 am

Thank you, Brad, for sharing that with the group. Everyone, let's thank Brad.
The King Of al-Talk. Hey, at least I'm not a troll.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Team: N/A

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:39 am

Sleepy - your plans pretty darn well thought out - and makes me pretty happy about my decisions on my loadout.

Personally - I've ditched the Entrenching Tool, and am using 30 round magazines.

I still want/need to get bandoleers, and 2-3 boxes of 20 round magazines) (for Vietnam era correctness). I've been debating between getting Tiger Stripe, ERDL, and using WWII Era Marine Issue Camouflage for my Army impression (I have my OD Jungle Utility's).

I'm carrying an M16 - AR15 Model 002 (I even have the rifle grenade launcher retention ring!!!), I've been looking at getting an XM177E2 (but having other things on my priority list), and I've been looking hard at an M79.

I've held off on a pistol so far. And I'll have to talk to you about a knife sheath. I have one of the Cold Steel 'bear claw' trainers, and I'd rather like to have a sheath for it that I can use in almost any era (WWII American - Modern), and sadly . . . . Leatherworking is not one of the things I learned as a Boy Scout.

And I'm wondering why Brad is sad. I dont have my copy of US Army Uniforms/Equipment by Shelby, or any of my other books really (I'm in Canada at the moment), but going just off memory, everything seems in order.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby danneskjold » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:18 pm

AFAIK, the XM177 was NOT a failure prone weapon at all. The M16 wasnt either...provided you cleaned it and used the correct ammunition.

Lots of Montangard groups were actually supplied by the US, (see picture previously posted) - so I still say ditch the AK. There is just no reason to carry 2 primaries.

Ditch the etool and cover..its uncomfortable, useless for LRRPs, and just wasnt carried with them.

The TM Thompson is a GREAT gun, and actually comes with a metal body. A little JB weld at the point where the barrel is weakest is the only fix needed.

And now if I was to be REALLY nitpicky...there was next to no VC left by the 1970s...it was nearly all NVA regulars :P

Looks good though!
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby Sleepy » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:28 pm

binarypunisher wrote:AFAIK, the XM177 was NOT a failure prone weapon at all. The M16 wasnt either...provided you cleaned it and used the correct ammunition.

Again, this is the Armchair Powerpoint Ranger talking, but some of the early reports indicate the M16 had certain problems with heavy barrel fouling, particularly when tracers were used.

binarypunisher wrote:Lots of Montangard groups were actually supplied by the US, (see picture previously posted) - so I still say ditch the AK. There is just no reason to carry 2 primaries.

Valid logic. But now that my brain has latched onto the idea of throwing an AKS on my back, it refuses to let go. It wouldn't really be a primary, since I would only be carrying about 120 rounds for it. Versus the 600 I'd be carrying for the XM177E2. I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

binarypunisher wrote:Ditch the etool and cover..its uncomfortable, useless for LRRPs, and just wasnt carried with them.

That's probably true. Maybe I've been paying too much attention to the Spetznaz. I mean, if I run empty the XM, use up the AK, shred right through the m1911, and break the knife, I could use the shovel to smack some poor bastard in the brainpan. Maybe this loadout is just to see how many guns I can carry with me. Anyone know where I might find a period ankle holster for a Walther PPK/S?

binarypunisher wrote:The TM Thompson is a GREAT gun, and actually comes with a metal body. A little JB weld at the point where the barrel is weakest is the only fix needed.

Damnit, Binary. If that's true, then you've just removed one of the reasons why I wouldn't carry it to a period skirmish

binarypunisher wrote:And now if I was to be REALLY nitpicky...there was next to no VC left by the 1970s...it was nearly all NVA regulars :P

No VC left by the 1970s. Now, think about this one. I'm wearing a ChiCom that could, ostensibly, have been recovered from a VC. It's not like he'd just hand it over. One thing leads to another. :lol:

binarypunisher wrote:Looks good though!

Thanks. I"m hoping some day I can actually be in the position to do this. I'm still trying to get my current loadout up and running.
The King Of al-Talk. Hey, at least I'm not a troll.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Previous

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft