Difference

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Difference

Postby supporter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:32 pm

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a Tanaka KAR98K, but I dont know the difference between the "G" Version, and the "K" Version. Which one was used by Nazi Germany?

Thanks in advance.
supporter
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Knowsknone » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:38 pm

The Wermacht used the Mauser Karbiner 98k (KAR98k for short)
"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons." -General Douglass MacArthur
11) You were kicked off the baseball team because you accidentally threw a live grenade to the batter.
Knowsknone
Soldier
Soldier

Postby supporter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:54 pm

But what is the difference between the two?
supporter
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Knowsknone » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:01 pm

I have never heard of the KAR98G, must just be a company notation so you can tell the difference. It could be better parts or a different style, wood color, size, weight, ect.
"Who ever said the pen was mightier than the sword, obviously, never encountered automatic weapons." -General Douglass MacArthur
11) You were kicked off the baseball team because you accidentally threw a live grenade to the batter.
Knowsknone
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:04 pm

Knowsknone wrote:The Wermacht used the Mauser Karbiner 98k (KAR98k for short)

:learn: What Knowsknone says is partially true. In 1935, the German service rifle was standardized as the Karabiner 98K, HOWEVER - other nations weapons were absorbed into the German Supply system, to supply an ever increasing military.

Knowsknone wrote:I have never heard of the KAR98G, must just be a company notation so you can tell the difference. It could be better parts or a different style, wood color, size, weight, ect.

:learn: Now, if you look at the Tanaka KAR98K, and KAR98G, you'll notice that the upper-foregrip wood wraps around the rear sight, and extends to the receiver on the KAR98G. The Czech's had a very similar rifle the VZ24 or GEW33/40 as it was known in German Service.

:learn: I only did a quick search on the Tanaka KAR98G, and did not find a length for the rifle. to be consistant with the GEW33/40 (which I believe it is a replica of), its barrel should be about 110mm shorter (this is roughly 4.5 inches shorter) than the KAR98K.

:learn: The GEW33/40 was primarily issued to Mountain Infantry, and Luftwaffe forces (who also received significant numbers of KAR98 series rifles)

:learn: As a side note, this illustrates what I call "the Dangers of Terminology". KAR is a shortening of 'Karabiner', or Carbine. GEW is a shortening of "Gewehr" or Rifle. The GEW33/40 is shorter than the KAR98, but Carbines are always supposed to be shorter than Rifles.

:learn: So, to answer your question - 'both' were used by Nazi Germany. Different types of units were issued different weapons. And depending on which year you are re-enacting, standardizations start to fly out the window as replacement troops brought with them, whatever they were issued, and troops picked up replacement weapons after losing a weapon, or it became too worn out to use.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Knowsknone » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:11 pm

What Knowsknone says is partially true. In 1935, the German service rifle was standardized as the Karabiner 98K, HOWEVER - other nations weapons were absorbed into the German Supply system, to supply an ever increasing military.

Now, if you look at the Tanaka KAR98K, and KAR98G, you'll notice that the upper-foregrip wood wraps around the rear sight, and extends to the receiver on the KAR98G. The Czech's had a very similar rifle the VZ24 or GEW33/40 as it was known in German Service.

I only did a quick search on the Tanaka KAR98G, and did not find a length for the rifle. to be consistant with the GEW33/40 (which I believe it is a replica of), its barrel should be about 110mm shorter (this is roughly 4.5 inches shorter).

So, to answer your question - 'both' were used by Nazi Germany. Different types of units were issued different weapons. And depending on which year you are re-enacting, standardizations start to fly out the window as replacement troops brought with them, whatever they were issued, and troops picked up replacement weapons after losing a weapon, or it became too worn out to use.

Ouch, -1 point to my WWII knowledge, thats what I was thinking, I just never thought of a variant of the Kar98k. Great clarification Alex, and an addition to my passion for WWII.
Knowsknone
Soldier
Soldier

Postby supporter » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:16 pm

alex_kaeda wrote:
Knowsknone wrote:The Wermacht used the Mauser Karbiner 98k (KAR98k for short)

:learn: What Knowsknone says is partially true. In 1935, the German service rifle was standardized as the Karabiner 98K, HOWEVER - other nations weapons were absorbed into the German Supply system, to supply an ever increasing military.

Knowsknone wrote:I have never heard of the KAR98G, must just be a company notation so you can tell the difference. It could be better parts or a different style, wood color, size, weight, ect.

:learn: Now, if you look at the Tanaka KAR98K, and KAR98G, you'll notice that the upper-foregrip wood wraps around the rear sight, and extends to the receiver on the KAR98G. The Czech's had a very similar rifle the VZ24 or GEW33/40 as it was known in German Service.

:learn: I only did a quick search on the Tanaka KAR98G, and did not find a length for the rifle. to be consistant with the GEW33/40 (which I believe it is a replica of), its barrel should be about 110mm shorter (this is roughly 4.5 inches shorter) than the KAR98K.

:learn: The GEW33/40 was primarily issued to Mountain Infantry, and Luftwaffe forces (who also received significant numbers of KAR98 series rifles)

:learn: As a side note, this illustrates what I call "the Dangers of Terminology". KAR is a shortening of 'Karabiner', or Carbine. GEW is a shortening of "Gewehr" or Rifle. The GEW33/40 is shorter than the KAR98, but Carbines are always supposed to be shorter than Rifles.

:learn: So, to answer your question - 'both' were used by Nazi Germany. Different types of units were issued different weapons. And depending on which year you are re-enacting, standardizations start to fly out the window as replacement troops brought with them, whatever they were issued, and troops picked up replacement weapons after losing a weapon, or it became too worn out to use.

Thank you for the information Alex. I'm not interrested in the Gewehr33/40, but rather Karabiner 98, only because that is what my great uncle used during the war. I am doing re-enacting D-Day all the way to Berlin, so I think the Karabiner will work for the whole "year" that Germany fought.

Thanks again Alex.
supporter
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft