Long Winter Photos - battlesim.com WWII Airsoft Sim

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Long Winter Photos - battlesim.com WWII Airsoft Sim

Postby hellmutt » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:09 pm

My favorite 33 photos from Saturday of The Long Winter. It was unnaturally wet and cold but it was the best WWII ever! You can see all 300+ photos at http://www.gwagdesigns.com

hellmutt
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Anglico » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:25 pm

Awesome work hear Jason just simply AWESOME !!!
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you shazaam with me, I'll kill you all.
Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
Anglico
Ranger
Ranger

Postby nb » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:29 pm

WWII events seem like a good time.

How do you guys have so many goddamn MG42's?!
I'm jealous.
nb
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Fred » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:10 am

nice job on the pics, maybe a little film grain would add a really nice touch. ;)
"Snow'd: high CRI is the blueish LED color, correct?" Poebot
Fred

Team: {FAG}

Postby Naked Snake » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 am

nb wrote: How do you guys have so many goddamn MG42's?!
I'm jealous.

are they 42's?
they look morel like 34's to me.
"What are they going to do? SHOOT US?!"
Naked Snake
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:39 am

Hellmutt - These photos are amazing. I always love the pictures from the WWII events. Thanks for posting. Tell your photographer he's a bad a$$.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby danneskjold » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:35 pm

nb wrote:WWII events seem like a good time.

How do you guys have so many goddamn MG42's?!
I'm jealous.

There is only 1 MG42 in the photos, there are however 2 MG34s.

One of them is airsoft adapted, the other is a real steel firing blanks.
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby nb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Awesome.
nb
Ranger
Ranger

Postby hellmutt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:52 pm

My favorite 25 photos from Charles Peterson. I edited them a bit to desaturate them you can see the originals here:

http://www.charlespeterson.net/longwinter/

hellmutt
Ranger
Ranger

Postby hellmutt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:10 pm

Jan. 12, 1945

Dearest Wife,

Sorry it has been so long since I have written. This damn war has a way destroying any time to write. We’re somewhere in Belgium right now trying to push through some German fortifications before we can make the move into Germany and end this stinking war. The weather has been awful the last few weeks, rain, sleet, hail – everything you could imagine. I’ve been soaked to the bone for what seems like months and everything is coated in mud.

Our new replacements have been coming in yesterday and today. Mostly a bunch of baby faced kids with no real experience, let alone combat experience. Surprisingly though the morale is pretty high. One of the kids fell in a foxhole filled with water up to his waist coming back from a patrol last night! We had to find him some dry clothes while we dried out his soaking ones. We started a little fire after the rain let up, Top was pretty angry about that! Luckily the Germans are on the run for the most part and nothing bad happened but it was either loose a guy to hypothermia or take a risk with the fire. We’d put a big hurtin’ on Jerry that afternoon, including taking out a mortar position and a PAK40 (a big anti-tank gun) so we figured we had earned a fire. I’m still hearing about it from first sergeant though.

One of the good things about the fire though was hot chow. One of the things we found when we finally overran the German bunkers were several cases of food that they had stolen from one of our supply jeeps that was ambushed a couple of days ago. We opened up several cans of beef stew and poured it into a helmet and heated it up over the fire. I had forgotten just how good warm food could be! Even canned rations on a cold night make for an excellent meal. We also found a case of some German wine, I think it was Berliner or something like that. In any case, it really hit the spot. The vets in the group all brought out what they’d been saving up for the last few week and we had a veritable feast compared to what we’ve had for the last few months. One guy even broke out some Coca Cola and some Hershey’s bars!

Good thing we had a nice warm meal because the next day was brutal. Sgt. Johnston is our platoon sergeant and he was not impressed with the new recruits. Most of these kids hadn’t seen the business side of a razor let along heard the sound of rifles shooting down range in a fight. A lot of them didn’t come back after our first push on the German’s main line of defense. Lt. Warren briefed the men on the tactical situation and made it perfectly clear we had to take out this defensive line. We were up against a small but hardened Fallshirmjager unit and an SS mountain division. These weren’t the “old men and boysâ€
hellmutt
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft