East German Soldier Loadout Help

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

East German Soldier Loadout Help

Postby FunkWeasel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:00 pm

Hello, I'm a big fan of the classic Deutsches Heer and Wermacht from 1900-1945, and I really wanted to portray a German soldier from that time period in airsoft, with me being a descendant of many. My only problem was, I couldn't find a respectable airsoft AEG from the time period for any less than $500 (TOP MP40, Shoei Sturmgewehr 44) and I would get butchered if I tried to use a Kar98. So I decided to look towards the future a bit, but too many people go for the Bundeswher get-up, and I strive to be unique (and quite frankly, I don't like Heckler & Koch). So that brought me to East Germany. They used the Kalshnikov, (which is one of my favorite rifles), and tactics from former Wermacht leaders, so I thought it would suit me well.

I have a few problems however. I would like to know whether or not the East German still used surplus Stalhelms, because I have one that I would like to use, and am sure that at least some division in the army had to use them during the beginning stages of its formation. I really don't want to buy a replicated East German helmet, I find them to be quite ugly, and would rather use a Stalhelm instead.
Another problem I have, is that I use a Russian version G&G AK-47. I've read on wikipedia that the East Germans used there own derivative of the AK, but would I be able to pass off with a Russian model without being frowned upon?
Finally, did the East Germans use camo? And if so, what pattern? All I found in surplus stores were standard gray fatigues, and the wouldn't do well to hide me in a heavily wooded area.

Thank you for answering my questions. I won't be portraying an East German soldier for any event, I just want to portray my German heritage on the airsoft field while simultaneously using an AK-47. Therefore, exact detail is not needed, but I would still like to be as historically correct as possible. If any of you have any outfit suggestions or ideas, feel free to tell me. Heres one for trying to stand out from the masses of British SAS and U.S.M.C.
:D
FunkWeasel
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby PanzerFaust » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:55 pm

East German Helmet

East German raindrop pattern

I have a set of these that are a little tight on me that I'd be willing to part with depending on if they'd work for you. Pants are 32x30 or so, jacket is probably medium/small.

Now as for the ww2 german weapons you had listed, there are cheaper options availible these days. Dboyi makes a spring shell ejecting K98, AGM makes an MP40, and WE has their P08 Luger. All just over $100 a peice. Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.
PanzerFaust

Postby FunkWeasel » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Yeah, I saw all those weapons, but I'm doing serious AEG skirmishing, and those just won't cut it. As for the camo, I'm much too big for it-I'm 32x36, so they'll end up looking like capris on me. Thank you for the offer though. I may just deck myself out in Wermacht and just say the AK-47 is a Volkssturmgewehr or something...

FunkWeasel
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Beran » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:54 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_People%27s_Army
http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/Strichtarn/index.html

those two links might help some. the standard infantry rifle was the AK74 later on but started with AK47 when they became available in number, so either one should work. im sure there are all kinds of little stupid details that most people don't care about to make the rifle 100% authentic, but in my opinion something like that is more effort than it is worth.

pants
jacket

all kinds of stuff on ebay too if you know how/where to look.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby STRIK3 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:08 am

For the clothing, Flecktarn.co.uk is a great place. They sell mostly international patterns. It'll be a bit spendy though, all the prices are in GBPs and the exchange rate sucks, about 2 GBP on the dollar (so whatever is says it costs on the website, it's twice that in USD)
ISAF-C, The 144, Rushing Russians OR/Willamette Valley KВДВ

http://www.facebook.com/ExecutiveRiskControlServices
STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Beran » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:03 am

FCK does not carry east german patterns anymore. they used to, and i was going to link to them but when i looked last night they no longer had the raindrop pattern stuff.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Junto » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:07 am

FunkWeasel wrote:Yeah, I saw all those weapons, but I'm doing serious AEG skirmishing, and those just won't cut it.
I use my MP40 as my primary in CQB and I've used it numerous times outdoors. That thing blew all my expectations away and totally "cut it".
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby FunkWeasel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:33 am

No offense to your MP40, but I've used it as well. I dislike its feel, and I dislike using china brands. Their quality varies.
FunkWeasel
Grunt
Grunt

Postby SLC 'softer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:19 pm

For me, it would be too much trouble matching an east german loadout, with unusual weapons (for airsoft) and rare camo.

However, i think it's great that you're taking the time to proudly display your heritage, and you should be damn proud if you pull it off well.
SLC 'softer
Ranger
Ranger

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft