What holds you back from doing WWII Airsoft?

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Postby TexMex » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:01 am

I think RAGNAR is just ragging on everyone because he wants to play so bad :)

What is holding me back, is also the lack of interest in my area. It seems more like i spend alot to play a few events per year. Doesnt sound like an investment to me. If i could somehow turn it into an investment, then yeah count me in.

I honestly think there would be nothign cooler than a WW2 American team that did tactics and communicated through hand signals (not radios) and went and played on the field. i would shit my pants out of excitement and vise versa for the Germans.
"You forget what you want to remember, but remember what you want to forget."

http://dunedainrangers.ning.com/

TexMex aka Petey
TexMex
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby _RAGNAR_ » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:10 pm

if you combine airsoft with Blank fire you get a LOT of events per year. I only do maybe 4 events a year but lots of guys do 8-10.

and no I wasn't really joking, why worry about scoping a rifle that almost no one scoped? A impression is not going to put itself together, waiting on an odd-ball piece like a scope mount doesn’t make sense if you really want to do WWII. We have a good sized functioning unit that has existed for years and not a scope among us!

If you are interested in WWII find a unit to guide your impression and start checking ebay and the boards for used impression stuff and. I just picked up an entire ATF airborne impression used for $300! Add a gun and a few other small items and you are into WWII for $600-700 and get a real Garand for another $600 and you are into blank fire (the BF guys will loan you one for a couple events normally)

The German impression is more expensive for the uniform but our guns are much cheaper so it works out about the same.

Though we are always looking to get more people into the hobby our events are already big, 60-100 here in the PNW and up to 300 when we go to CA. much biggr and way more organized than 95+% of airsoft events here in the PNW.
_RAGNAR_
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Mtgriz » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:56 pm

How many people actually play WW2 airsoft? It's not too very enticing to spend $700+ to be able to play with 4 other guys...

If there were more WW2 games, more accesible/affordable gear and guns then maybe. As it is, Vietnam airsoft is more established and supported. And that is still not a very popular venture.
Mtgriz
Soldier
Soldier

Postby m3chanized » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:09 pm

how many people actualy play? JTD2 had an attendence of over 100 people, allot more than 4 people
and 700$ is a bit of an exaggeration
if you look in the right places a loadout wont be more than 400+
m3chanized
Soldier
Soldier

Postby McNair » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:19 pm

need moAr pokemonz.
McNair

Postby _RAGNAR_ » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:24 am

m3chanized wrote:how many people actualy play? JTD2 had an attendence of over 100 people, allot more than 4 people
and 700$ is a bit of an exaggeration
if you look in the right places a loadout wont be more than 400+

my $700 estimate included a gun and extra mags. You'd be hard pressed to get in under $700 and have something to sleep with and under, not even considering what you eat you food in, etc. An impression that you would be proud to take to events is more than the basics on the outside.

If you were just going to use loaner gear for everything but what you wear into combat you could do a US impression for the cost of an ATF set and a gun and mags. But you really need to add a wool service shirt and pants and side cap to that right away. Loaner gear is only supposed to be loaner gear for an event or two, not a way of outfitting yourself for free on someone else’s dime.

For the Germans our guys can get into the field with part loaner gear and all of the support gear loaner gear for about $500, but they will have $800-1000 invested after 12-18 months. But this is for a damn good impression that you could go to any reenactment with around the country and be proud of it. Guns are an added cost on top of that and there is no ceiling to cost.

So first event with your own airsoft gun probably under $500 depending on who is sponsoring you and what extra gear they have. The Allies in the NW did not support this last event very well so there was a lack of loaner gear. FJR6 as an example could have outfitted 6 more Fallschirmjagers.

The WWII events out here are bigger and better than anything else going on.
_RAGNAR_
Grunt
Grunt

Postby shakespeare » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:42 am

It's really just too expensive for not enough return for me. I like the idea a lot, but paying that much money to do something just occasionally is too much for me. For that much I could get a lot of cool airsoft stuff that I could use every weekend.
shakespeare
Specops
Specops

Postby spencerman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:24 am

Image[/img]
spencerman
Grunt
Grunt

Postby LettuceHead » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:38 am

When someone says "I want to but why spend the $$$ for only a couple of events a year" is really saying "I don't really want to that bad". Saying "I'd rather buy modern gear so I can play every weekend" is, to me, saying "I just want to get some trigger time in whether I'm uber MOLLE Multicam'd out or wearing a Hawaiin shirt."

Granted, some themes like PTO or Eastern Front are harder to find but they are out there.

Doing WW2/ historic is not about kill count, its a time machine. If you really want to do it, do it. There are few events because people don't take the first step. Trust me, once you do it you're hooked :)

I spent about $700 on my gear for Jump to Destiny (plus another $250 for car rental and beer). Expensive to some, though I did buy a lot of things I didn't really need but wanted. The experience was.... breathtaking, exhilarating and downright frightening all at the same time! Honestly, it made every airsoft event I've seen seem like kickball during school recess.

As stated above, if money is a consideration there are ways around that. Lots of items can be modded or substituted for a passable impression.
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mattb348 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 pm

_RAGNAR_ wrote:
m3chanized wrote:how many people actualy play? JTD2 had an attendence of over 100 people, allot more than 4 people
and 700$ is a bit of an exaggeration, especially if you buy a cheap airsoft rifle. And if you look in the right places a loadout wont be more than 400+

my $700 estimate included a gun and extra mags. You'd be hard pressed to get in under $700 and have something to sleep with and under, not even considering what you eat you food in, etc. An impression that you would be proud to take to events is more than the basics on the outside.

If you were just going to use loaner gear for everything but what you wear into combat you could do a US impression for the cost of an ATF set and a gun and mags. But you really need to add a wool service shirt and pants and side cap to that right away. Loaner gear is only supposed to be loaner gear for an event or two, not a way of outfitting yourself for free on someone else’s dime.

For the Germans our guys can get into the field with part loaner gear and all of the support gear loaner gear for about $500, but they will have $800-1000 invested after 12-18 months. But this is for a damn good impression that you could go to any reenactment with around the country and be proud of it. Guns are an added cost on top of that and there is no ceiling to cost.

So first event with your own airsoft gun probably under $500 depending on who is sponsoring you and what extra gear they have. The Allies in the NW did not support this last event very well so there was a lack of loaner gear. FJR6 as an example could have outfitted 6 more Fallschirmjagers.

The WWII events out here are bigger and better than anything else going on.

Wow I was interested in these events but had no idea just how expensive it was. After reading this I'm not so interested afterall, at least not anytime soon that is :)
mattb348
Recruit
Recruit

Postby LettuceHead » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:00 pm

mattb348 wrote:Wow I was interested in these events but had no idea just how expensive it was. After reading this I'm not so interested afterall, at least not anytime soon that is :)

So get a better job... j/k :p

Honestly, most serious players I know have as much or more into one quality replicas and matching loadout.

If you shop around and watch Ebay for deals its not as expensive as you might think. Researching and the hunt for period gear is a rewarding and addictive hobby in and of itself. Airsofting in it is a bonus, the way I see it. I can go get a plate carrier anywhere, but I dug through musty bins of surplus until I found a set of P37 Mk.1 Basic Pouches with triple ballistite cartridge loops. Most tactical accessories are never actually used by police and military, but a 65 year old war dated rifle sling just feels different to me because it was solely made to be used on a rifle specifically built to be used in anger.

For larger events you do want to hook up with a unit. Even if not an official member, they will help you get squared away. Start with the basics and people who have extra equipment will gladly loan what you need and train you in its use.

Really, its worth it :D
Last edited by LettuceHead on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Atown » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:47 pm

I know a guy who (every weekend he can play) will come out to the field dressed in his WWII uniform...i mean i understand not wanting to pay all that money for a WWII loadout because you would barely use it but you could just go the route that he did and wear it every weekend...there is no rule in the imaginary airsoft etiquette book that says "No WWII uniforms allowed unless specifically defined as a WWII event!!!"

and i must say, its pretty cool seeing an m14 modded to look like an m1 garand in the midst of m4's, m16's, and m249's...
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Atown
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eudorus » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:22 am

Lesley and I both speak german and she'd look shmexy in a housewife's frock. I think we might be persuaded to be resistance fighters.
Ludere Causa Ludendi
Winner MSW Patrolling challenge, May 2013
Eudorus
Ranger
Ranger

Team: The 144

Postby Holliday » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:53 pm

As for apparel, Andy and Bax in Portland can supply NEAR every piece of clothing you could want as Amercian Infantry for less than 100$.
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
~Kurt Vonnegut
Holliday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Colosseum » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:39 pm

I've been considering going full World War II just because it's different (and it's pretty cool). The only trouble is that the loadout is retardedly expensive.
Colosseum
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft