Gear

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Postby Kendodude » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:57 pm

Sup... Although it's pretty expensive.
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m58447980
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Team: N/A

Postby Mufasa » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:06 pm

its Japanese or Chinese I can't read it :(
"Bullets sound the same in every language."
Mufasa
Ranger
Ranger

Postby VogonFord » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:31 pm

Yeah just shy of a 100,000 yen (just about 1,000 dollars). As I said, ain't cheap. :lol: But you'd be one badass meanie if you had it.
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby Kendodude » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Current USD to Yen rate... It is over $1000. :P
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby John_234 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:42 am

Tokyo Marui or Softair Thompson
Both have a huge battery compartment, very long stock and high mag capacity.

King Arms makes some mid caps but they're rather hit and miss, so your only real option in terms of mags are either a bunch of expensive standard mags or a few high caps. They also produce a drum magazine now, but they weren't ever used by airborne. US Marines and some British troops did use them, but not often due to an issue with rattling.

The reach to the pistol grip and foregrip is a bit long for smaller shooters, but you can use damn near any kind of mask and still be able to sight with irons due to the drop in the stock.

Its size makes it more used like an assault rifle then a sub gun.

Both suffer from a structural weakness in between the barrel and receiver, right where the foregrip ends.

Apparently, you can mod them for blowback easier then most AEGs.

The Marui has great externals, a slightly low FPS, but a high rate of fire with a decent battery.

The softair has some decent externals, but awful, awful white paint trademarks. The main problem with it is performance.
It has a pretty high velocity and low rate of fire, which are kind of the opposite direction from a sub machine gun's typical use.

Most shoot like 380 or so and have an ROF of, I'd say 500 rounds per minute.

Marushin Garand and M14 AEG Conversions
The Marushin is a beautiful rifle and pretty damn powerful, but far from skirmishable in most respects.

You constantly need to top off gas, and picking up en blocs is a pain. They're not cheap enough to ditch like you normally would.

The safety and takedown are simpler then most, but reloading isn't as easy as other models and the sights aren't too great for airsoft engagement ranges.

Typically, they have a pretty long engagement range, but accuracy is a bit odd due to the LD2 double hop up.

I've heard that the bolt has a tendency to break unless certain parts are locktited. Not sure how well the newer green gas ones hold up.

Besides all the practical problems, they're not for most players. The Garand is essentially a gas blowback pistol that is harder to load and not as handy.

A much easier option is one of the M14 conversions. A number of people will do such conversions for a price.

They pretty much replace the barrel end and the stock. Most come with flush magazines to maintain the look of the weapon, they're relatively cheap as well.

Marushin Carbine
Marushin released 3 carbines. The M1 NBB, M2 GBB, and M1 GBB.

The biggest pro of the carbine is that it is very handy. They're lightweight, compact, and the controls aren't bad.

The M1 was a bolt action replica. It fired the 8mm BB and used the 15 round magazines (13 rounds of 8mm). I recall they did not, however, fit in the butt stock pouches.

Somewhat ironically, the carbine was really more of a sniper weapon.

The M2 was their GBB version. It was full auto and fed from 30 round banana mags - despite being twice the size of the standard mag, it only held five more rounds then the short mag. You charged gas through two separate ports.

Some groups allow you to use the M2 as long as you keep it on semi.
It'd be more suited to Vietnam loadouts then anything though.

Marushin later released an M1 GBB, which was semi auto still had the crap banana magazine. Neither GBB version accepts the original NBB mags.

Like the Garand, they're essentially oversized pistols, but slightly more practical due to their incredible handiness and removable magazines.

However, they have a low capacity and aren't fully realistic if that is what you're looking for. Not to mention, the mags won't fit in carbine pouches.

I know some people who've installed the M1A1 folding stocks, but they do require significant work and are not cheap.

Tanaka M1897 Trench Shotgun
WW2 mostly saw shotgun used in the pacific theater but an airborne soldier could actually get one from the quartermaster.

The Tanaka is really the only replica. I suppose you could get a different shotgun and convert it to look similar, but the Tanaka is the only actual replica.

It is a gas shell ejector, less practical for skirmishing but gets some great performance. You'd need a shell catcher and a supply of shells to be effective.
Using a gas shotgun gets very expensive, weapon and shells.

They have an ABS body rather then the metal body of their 870 counterparts, although I've been told that they accept real 1897 parts if the internals ever break down.

VFC B.A.R.
The BAR is a beautiful rifle, but expensive as hell and far from practical.
Externals are very well done and the build is extremely sturdy.

It has great performance and a high rate of fire, but doesn't function well as support weapon due to it's low capacity and expensive high cap mags.

When used as a rifle, the sheer size and weight of the weapon will tire out most people. Not to mention it's price will likely clean out any battery, mag or pouch money.

Hudson M3 Grease Gun
The recoil and report is pretty good, but the weapon itself is very poorly built.

By design, it isn't pretty or comfortable. Hell, it even lacks a cocking lever. The wire stock doesn't stay put.

If you mishandle the loading you can destroy the bolt. They don't hold up to green gas well either.

Purely a collector's piece.

Springfield 1903
The others mentioned, KTW produced a Springfield and Mosin Nagant, both spring powered.

Summarily, they're overpriced springers. You could, in all likelihood, buy a real weapon and a spring airsoft gun and make one yourself for cheaper.

Browning 1919
Killbucket makes a few of these. I believe he isn't producing them right now but you can buy the templates for cheap and have someone do the cutting. They accept an M14 gearbox.

They're heavy, meant to be used in fixed positions, and typically manned by two people.

They're attention grabbing and keep heads down. Possibly, you could use one on a vehicle or in a fixed position during a scenario.

One advantage of such a weapon is the simplicity. You have the gun and tripod, maybe some spare ammo.
Probably not when you have a .30 cal tin worth, 15,000 rounds I believe?

If you have a high budget, the Marui 1911 is a really nice option. Great build for an ABS gun, huge parts market and excellent performance.

KJW also makes a pretty decent, metal 1911 pistol. I believe it is TM compatible.

WE tech is debatable. Some people swear by them, I personally don't like their seemingly random QC. They also suck up gas and have crappy magazines.

A very slight thing about them for loadouts is that the silver barrel isn't correct for a 1911 or 1911A1.

Bottom line:
Thompson: Good all-round, easily bought weapon. Pretty much an assault rifle in practice and suited to most situations.

Garand: Not very practical but not impossible to use. Definitely not a good first gun.

M14 conversion: The most practical alternative to the Thompson. Good if you want something more suited to long range engagement, and perhaps something not quite as common as a Thompson.

Carbine: Slightly more practical then the Garand but not the best option.

Trench Gun: The only choice if you like shotguns, a very niche weapon. You need a unique playstyle and deep pockets to effective wield one.

BAR: Expensive and difficult to use, but far from impossible. Arguably a better option then the gas rifles.

Grease Gun: The only M3 replica and one of the few gas in mag sub guns, but poorly made and fragile.

Springfield: Hopelessly overpriced and difficult to acquire.

1919: Again, a very specialized role, not ideal for first weapon.

1911: A good choice no matter what you choose to carry as your primary.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”- Albert Einstein
John_234
Ranger
Ranger

Postby LettuceHead » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:25 pm

Eskimonian, what role is your usual impression? What unit are you with and what events do you go to?

As John_234s very thorough post pointed out, there's a few accessible and skirmishable replicas out there. The problem is the ratio of M1 rifles to other weapons at events. Way too many M1A1 Thompsons, the US did not field nearly as many SMGs as the German or British forces. The M1 Carbine wasn't widely issued either (the carbine round was also known to be stopped by heavy German winter coats at 100 yards as well, who wants that! :D ) The M14 conversion is currently the best alternative for maintaining a proper ratio of rifles to carbines/ SMGs, being affordable and reliable... just have to get someone to build it :D

Hey John_234.... just a tidbit of info. The drum magazine never fit the M1A1, it was for the earlier 1928 which is what the British originally bought. Correct, they didn't widely issue the drum for the rattle and weight. Some 1928s were also used by various US forces. Later, the British also purchased M1A1s to fill the gap in a shortage of Stens between models.

Cybergun just released their "Chopper" Thompson.... its a hack job 1928. Basically, they just added a ribbed barrel with faux Cutts Compensator, foregrip and drum magazine to their M1A1. The 1928 was topcocking, different body, different stock.... but, if you're not worried about being 100% authentic it fits the bill!
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby VogonFord » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:33 pm

I'm still waiting for my M1941 Johnson LMG :lol:

Seriously, though, it also depends on what you want out of replica. If you want it to be beautiful the Marushin Garand is a beast. It's very hard to distinguish it from the real thing. The TM Thompson is plasticky like all TM guns but it's far more skirmishable.
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Re: Gear

Postby TexMex » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 am

Eskimonian wrote:Hey guys i do ww2 reenacting but not for airsoft and i was wondering if all the gear i use for my 82nd airborne persona would work in this.

Where did you purchase your airborne outfit? I have been emailing this guy back and forth about one ut he is not really religious about checking his email
"You forget what you want to remember, but remember what you want to forget."

http://dunedainrangers.ning.com/

TexMex aka Petey
TexMex
Ranger
Ranger

Postby John_234 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:49 pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification lettucehead.

TexMex, I found atthefront.com has some excellent gear. A friend of mine bought a full para para loadout, minus holster, from them.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”- Albert Einstein
John_234
Ranger
Ranger

Postby TexMex » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:09 pm

John_234 wrote:Ah, thanks for the clarification lettucehead.

TexMex, I found atthefront.com has some excellent gear. A friend of mine bought a full para para loadout, minus holster, from them.

Thank you :) i will check that out
"You forget what you want to remember, but remember what you want to forget."

http://dunedainrangers.ning.com/

TexMex aka Petey
TexMex
Ranger
Ranger

Postby John_234 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:24 am

Their owner is a bit harsh, but he's always fair and his products are good. They offer mostly repros but occasionally restore originals.
John_234
Ranger
Ranger

Previous

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft