Browning Auto

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Browning Auto

Postby tommyboy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 am

does anyone know where I can find a GBB of the Browning "hi-power" pistol. I am putting together a WWII "Royal Marine" kit, and I have found in my research that other then a revolver, commonly the "Webley" if my research is correct, the Royal Marines and SAS used the "Browning Automatic Pistol" which is basically the first version of the Browning Hi-Power. the Browning Hi-Power and the Browning Automatic Pistol are almost identical in every way from what I have been able to find. however I have not been able to find an airsoft retailer that carries the Browning Hi-Power....as of yet. so I thought I would ask around and see if anyone would know.
I did originally intend on going with a pistol for my kit, something different then anohter GBB, but the pistol I did decide on and ordered turned out to be a bit larger then what would have been carried by british troops, so the holsters dont fit it. I didnt realize at the time that it was an airsoft version of a 357 magnum, which is much larger then the Webley or any other revolver carried by the british, (canadians & australians).
any help here would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Tommy
tommyboy
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Kendodude » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 am

There are no airsoft webleys (Although I do think marushin made a capfire one).

Tanaka Browning Hi-power. Too bad when Tanaka GBBs die... they DIE... FOREVER.
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby Starkist » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:13 am

a WWII 1911 would be totally appropriate. the us did a whole lot of lend lease to the UK. some of the 1911's were converted to .455 webley and issued to the commandos and airborne troops.

as far as the Inglis Hi Power(manufactured in Canada) no good copies exist, Maximo had one but it stopped working pretty quickly

Jim
Starkist
Soldier
Soldier

Team: RAC 5

Postby LettuceHead » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:13 am

Yes, many US weapons made their way to the Commandos, 1911s and Thompsons mostly but a few M1 Rifles and M1 Carbines are documented as well.

There were a two sizes of P37 pistol holster issued throughout the war. Most fit the Enfield .38 but a slightly larger one was made for the Webley and larger frame pistols. I have the smaller one and it barely fits my 1911. When I say barely, I mean it safely carries my sidearm but in a quickdraw situation I'd be a goner.

Smaller frame
http://www.buymilitaria.com/british_ima ... OLSTER.jpg

Larger frame
http://www.buymilitaria.com/british_ima ... OLSTER.jpg

A third pattern exists of a later war holster designed specifically for the Browning Hi Power but they are getting hard to find. I saw one at the last Portland gun show but the seller wanted an exorbitant amount for its condition.

http://www.denner.ca/weapons/PostWWII/holster%201.jpg This pic is from a post-war site but the one I saw was 1945 dated.

I saw a bunch of Air Force Gray Canadian issue holsters at Aloha Surplus. There's a flood of Canadian Gray on the market right now, so maybe several hot washings and then a Blanco treatment would do the trick. Otherwise, just keep your eyes peeled on Ebay.
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby VogonFord » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 pm

I remember hearing rumors of WE having a Hi-Power in the works, but right now you can only get non-skirmishable versions. If you don't want a 1911, you could go with a Luger, as no sane Allied soldier would ever turn down picking up one off of a stiff. Probably the most popular war trophy of WWII, after of course alcohol.
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft