How does this work??

Post announcements about your team here, recruiting, brag about your website, or ask about how to join teams.

How does this work??

Postby MuGGzy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:23 am

I am a former Tourney Paintball player and REALLY like the aggressive movement and tactical aspects of that and can see where most of it would cross over to Airsoft really well.
I went to Mollalla this weekend and watched how it went. From my admittedly TOTAL NOOB perspective, I could tell the people that used to play paintball from those that... didn't.

Where should I go, or whom should start talking to if I want to get involved with a group that really likes to play this stuff "balls to the wall", lots of running, flanking, crawling, getting right up in people's faces and making the old heart race type of play. I would be interested in weekly or bi weekly "practice" stuff and playing as a team unit.

I am in the Beaverton area if that helps.

Any recommendations or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!
MuGGzy
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby KA-BAR » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:31 am

PLA puts on a monthly training day.

you should make it a point to attend those.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Re: How does this work??

Postby Raging Hormann » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:35 pm

MuGGzy wrote:From my admittedly TOTAL NOOB perspective, I could tell the people that used to play paintball from those that... didn't.

I don't know much about you, but the guys I play with do that quite a bit, and 90% of us have never played PB.

The way I can tell, usually, is by clothing style (at least for people FRESH from the PB field), speech(they tend to be more standoffish and verbally assaulting), and that's about it.

You do use tactics, but even I, who've only ever fired a PB gun once, run out there bein' all badass and stuff to get across the clearing.

Sometimes ya just gotta throw yourself in.
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Postby Bad Karma » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Some of the hardest-charging players I know have never so much as touched a paintball gun.
Biggest Postwhore 2009
Author of the Best Post of 2009
XO of the Best Team of 2009
Bad Karma

Team: SOTA

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:39 pm

We have a couple of guys on our team that used to play semi pro paint ball. Airsoft isn't always about shooting the most BB's down range that you can, as it is in paint ball. However, the aggressive movement and shooting tactics can be very helpful in Airsoft.

Hit me up at the next skirm or game you we both are at, and you can roll with us or at least talk shop with our former paintball players.

"Jesus wept and it's no wonder why"
Ash
Specops
Specops

Team: SOTA

Postby MuGGzy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:15 pm

Oh, guys, I am BY NO MEANS, saying one is cooler or better than the other, I simply have a very limited frame of reference. I really only saw Airsoft from the sidelines and tried to stay out of the way of any firing lanes so probably didn't see most of the good stuff.
I know they are very different games and just assume several of the skills or schools of thought can comfortably cross over. I just meant that a lot of the guys I saw playing spent a lot of time standing around kind of lesurely taking a few pop shots and then kind of meandering to a new spot to shoot a bit and that just didn't look like it was very exciting or adrenaline inspiring to me.

Thank you for the responses and I think I just need to get out there and play in some of the open games I see posted and see where I REALLY fit in, hell maybe someone will see me and decide they want me to play with them. I guess I never know.
MuGGzy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Raging Hormann » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Yeah, you can really tell who's a serious wargaming enthusiast in general. It has nothing to do whatsoever with their equipment. If they want to play, they fuckin want to play.

Come to Belligerence! Then go to Ash Bash! those are two games I'm really looking forward to.
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Postby Mini-Marine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:20 pm

Airsoft and paintball are totally separate animals.

Since a lot of games involve taking and holding territory, if you are holding a position it really pays to play conservatively. You don't really gain much from rushing out and killing a few guys since they will just go and respawn, but if you can keep them busy trying to take a position where you have a strong defensive position, it frees up more of your team to go complete other objectives.
When brute force doesn't solve your problems, you aren't using enough
Mini-Marine

Postby RBeran » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:31 pm

You're welcome to run with us sometime. We are not an "organized" team, but we usually have four to five players.

There is a skirm this weekend 3/7 at Silverton we may attend (pending equipment issues)...and for sure Operation Beligerance on 3/20. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.
RBeran
Soldier
Soldier

Team: APST

Postby ogrejager » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:37 pm

Mini-Marine wrote:Airsoft and paintball are totally separate animals.

I respectfully disagree.
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Mini-Marine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:40 pm

ogrejager wrote:
Mini-Marine wrote:Airsoft and paintball are totally separate animals.

I respectfully disagree.

They certainly have overlap, but from my somewhat limited experience with paintball, the are very different in pace, feel and execution.
When brute force doesn't solve your problems, you aren't using enough
Mini-Marine

Return to Team Talk