The ART of Combat shotgunning.

Discuss airsoft shotguns, launchers, and other related equipment.

The ART of Combat shotgunning.

Postby KA-BAR » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:32 am

Hey all, KA-BAR here.

I spent the latter part of 2007 with a TM M3 super shorty in my hands for several games. I had never used or trained with this particualr platform and was greatly impressed with its function and realistic action. I took to this particular weapon quite quickly, and soon became very proficient, so much so, that by the end of the year at our annual toy drive game " the Santa wars" more then 7+ people who had never before been seen in our communitys sporting shotty, are now showing up to games with the new E1/CAW or G&P stuff. Ill gett to those later.

all of the work or things i will be talking about in this thread will be directly refering to TM or other 3BB per pull (3BBPP). any references made to single shot shotguns and thier trminology/tactics will be refered to as such and shoud not be confused with other terminology/tactics in this thread.

THE WAY OF THE COMBAT SHOTGUNNER

So you may be asking your self " KA-BAR, what does it take to be a hard charging combat shotgunner such as your self?"

".....ill let you know when i find out, well actuall you will know too, you will be walking to the deadpool. go respawn."

1. courage under fire
2. the knowledge that you will be the most out gunned sack of .... on the field.
3. be prepared to be fired upon unmercifully by AEGs
4. be one sneaky sonofa.....
5. fire control
6. good PT
7. situational awarness ( multiple levels blue(calm),yellow(alert), orange(combat ready), red(hyper-awarness)

sound like fun. well it shouldnt. if it was fun, everyone would be doing it.
being a hard charger encompasses all of the 5 aspects of badassery i have listed above in no particular order.

shotgunner is the breach man. he is on point until the portal or AOE(area of entry)has been achived. he blows the locks and hinges, he kicks the door and makes the hole. 2nd man on the stack now becomes point, and the stack moves through, now the shotgunner has become either the 4th man in or rear security.

street sweeper. from the basic combat bennelli to a CAW M92, or a AA12. combat shotguns put alot of projectiles on target. that is the purpose, is to saturate the target area. end game.

any shotgun that emmulates a "scatter" pattern effect, such as the TM tri barrel, or a maruzen shell ejector. these are the most prized platforms for this role. single shot E1/CAW or G&P, marashin, ect. will all be discussed late in the thread or in a entirely new thread. they have a purpose, yes yes.

the combat shotgunners role is best "attached" as support to a fireteam. a shotgunner attached to a 4man fireteam is a slot well spent. and highly necessary. a 12 man stack with out a shot gun is at a great disadvantage as opposed to a 12 man stack with 2 shotgunners. the later configuration can spit into fire teams and operate independently and then reconsolidate.

the DEEP FLANK.

this is where the shotgun shines in outdoor games. the deep flank should have a wing man or some fire support attached. when aproachng a firefight from a flank, if possible a negetive oblique to the enemy flank( to the side and rear) so that the enemy is concentrating fire on the friendlys and not paying attention to your advance. if security to the flanks or rear has been set to overwatch, then these become Prime threats.

myself and another local player named KK, went on a deep flank, both armed with shotguns(TM super90 bennelli) both knowing we were facing all AEGs, and just not caring. we did bounding advances until we were so deep behind the skirmish line that we were able to ambush the whole line as we moved down. we just did 2man Lformation ambushes so that when the enemy would take fire from one of use, it would force the enemy into taking cover in a area totally covered by the other shotgunner. it was a thing of beauty. i got several headshots at range. unheard of. people began to take notice of the combat shotgunners power on that day. i at one point had crawled under a tree with OPfor, from the rear, and got withing 6 ft. put my barrel into is arse and pulled the trigger.point blank. he stood up and said " why did you team kill me?? >:("

"...i am not on your team ::)!

then i hard charged out of the branches at his friend that was under the assumption i was his wing man. nope. i rack the slide and said " BOOM YER DEAD!" i wish i had a vid of that.

KNOW WHEN TO DUCK AND COVER.

know when to take cover and exfil.

example: i was in a 4man fire team moveing up a ridgeline. KK is point man, i am second in the line, kuckles is 3rd and doss is 4th man( rear security). suddenly this kid pops out and sprays AEG fire at the line..... point man goes down in th espray, i see it and duck. th eBBs i duck hit 3rd and 4th man. i stay down and quite. the three get up deathrags in hand, and march off. the kid advances to within 12 feet of my position and doesnt see me. he thinks he has wiped out the whole fire team and takes a knee and drops his mag to start a reload. that is when i popped up, racked the slide. the moment he heard that i think he relived himself, because his eyes got really wide. i looked him dead in the eye and said " BOOM!" and pulled the trigger. tight group to the chest. felt euphoric. then his buddies tried to flank me and move past, i waited till both passed and shot the last man, and could not rack the slide fast enough to kill the other before he sprayed me with AEG fire. but i was happy to take out two and walk to the deadpool knowing that he was all alone....... and KA-BAR was comming back.

LOADS

i am going to be experimenting with diffrent shotgun shell loads to simulate diffrent guages/wieghts. all shotgun shell loads are loaded to 15 rounds to simulate 5 shells in the tube ( 15bb=3bb per pumpx5). the lighter the bb weight the more spread and speed. heavier the BB weight, will give more range, and tighter groups. also heavier rounds can be used to take out targets obscured by brush/light obstructions.

color coding the shells will also help in identifiying loads for diffrent combat uses. darker the shell the heavier the round is my meathod. here is what i have been working on.

(black) the BRUSH CUTTER. TM 30 rnd shell. loaded to 15 rounds of .30 6mm ammo
(blue Dk.) Lock Breaker. TM 30 rnd shell. loaded to 3 rounds of .30 6mm ammo
(blue lt.) LESS LEATHAL. TM 30 rnd shell. loaded to 3 rounds of .30 6mm ammo( one pump, simulates a beanbag round)
(red) Standard. 30 rnd shell. loaded to 15 rounds of .23 6mm ammo
(yellow) the HOTSHOT. TM 30rnd shell. loaded to 15 rounds of .12 6mm ammo

obviously the hotshot is not good for outdoor use, unless you can time the choke of your spread to get a 2 for 1 trigger pull kill if the OPfor are clustered. but due to the unpredictablity of a .12 round in the outdoors is like tring to aim a tennis ball machine to throw wiffle balls on a windy day. so no accuracy. plenty of velocity. indoors this round really shines in the choke spreads quickly like a sawed off would. good stuff. as for the other rounds they are self explanitory.

the less leathal round you must either shout "less leathal" before the shot, or have a visible blue barrel or marking, that is why i chose light blue as the color for my less leathal shells.

this is all i got so far. other experimentations and findings will be posted here in the future.
feel free to comment or add to the conversation. do not hijack this thread or i will ask mods to delete off topic posts.

thx

KA-BAR out
Last edited by KA-BAR on Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Team: N/A

Postby Seagreen » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:57 am

*racks slide on pistol*
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Ragtag » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:59 am

I will be looking forward to that.
We'll fight them on the ground,
We'll fight them in the sky,
When the Army and Navy are heading home,
The Marines are standing by.
~Hal Popplewell
Ragtag
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rogue Reaper » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:00 am

Morgan, you are so going home with lots of welts and very few notches on the shotty,

Good luck with that :)

Also

When you are awarded most valuable player and given the certificate and metal at an Operation like Galant Sabre II WHILE using a shotty then you to can be a combat shotgunner.

You will also come to know that Shotguns have no place in combat.

Last edited by Rogue Reaper on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
I Like My Motorcycles Loud And My Firearms Quiet. ~ Me
Rogue Reaper

Postby PanzerFaust » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:01 am

If it's a contest for being outgunned, Kendo wins with his shinai.
PanzerFaust

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:01 am

I am not re-growing my mustache. I am, however, getting ready to repair/replace my shotgun.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby KA-BAR » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 am

oraly???

last game i attended... i sent 10+ people to the deadpool. and i made the death march at the most 3 times that day.....so the way i see it, i am doing it correctly.

KK and i both ran shotties that day, and ran deep flanking manuvers. KK watched in horror as a i single handedly rolled many....infact he watched in awe as i snuck up behind this poor sap, and put three rounds in his asshole from 6 ft away.

and there were many other instances that day.... and i walked away from that game with out welts.

see you on the field.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby Kendodude » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:05 am

My moustache doesn't look very good since it's asian so I shave it off... BUT I GOT YO BACK KABAR!

Mah Maruzen may not have Range but it's still supa sweet.

May get a TM or Marushin in January.
Last edited by Kendodude on Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One does not care to acknowledge the mistakes of one's youth." - Quattro Bajeena aka Char Aznable
Kendodude

Postby TunnelRat » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:05 am

Man, if you pick up one of the Marushin M500s, you will definitely NOT be outgunned - the fear factor that it instills in your opponents as you run rebel-yelling at them lobbing golf balls in their direction far outweighs the power of their puny 6mm AEG.
OP:GSIII 2PLT LDR
OP:Irene VI FF 2/4
OP:LCVIII TF McKnight 1/4
OP:LCIX TF McKnight 4/2
TunnelRat
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Matt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:14 am

Ask Harley about shotgunning. He's the man.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Rogue Reaper » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:36 am

Thats Harleys Shotty in the picture, It was gun Swap day, Rick had Pats Barrett and Riddick had my M4 and I was a squad leader so i didn't need and real firepower so Harley lent me the Shotty, It was sweet. Pat BTW was on the SAW that day and kept EVERYONE afraid to get near the village.
Rogue Reaper

Postby KA-BAR » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:40 am

i am making harleys shotty basicly... i bought a TM M3 shorty.... i will be purchaseing the G&P collapsable stock, and a rack for shells on the side. also buying a breach flash hider.

here is a lil AAR for the first day i ever rolled with a shotgun.

KA-BAR wrote:yo KA-BAR in the house!

the wildboar armoury game was pretty good. it was no CQB event, infact there was no CQB AT ALL.

all my AEG were down so i went with a glock in the small of my back, and my MK23 on my thigh with the full intention of going pitols only in CQB environment. and it was a field game. luckily ( not for some) the duke from the mithril detachment ( TEAM MITHRIL) came equiped with several replicas and a huge a$$ samwich!

i have never shot any of the TM shotty's man was i impressed.
my first kill with it was a truly amazing moment, it was a damn apiphany.
i was rolling with PAC, KK was point i was second man, knuckles third and doss bringing up rear security. suddely a burst of AEG rounds takes out KK, and i see the lil ACU wearing shadowfoxer smile as we sprays in my direstion, i ducked, the BB i ducked takes out KK, then doss goes down all in one fantastic spray. i full expect the dude to rush me and spray me, he doesnt, in fact what he does do in all his glory reveling is totally forget ol KA- BAR is in the grass. he takes a knee, pops his mag and begins his reload. i am totally LOLing inside at this point. i raise up from my position, with in 12 feet of the kid, RACK the slide, and level my weapon to his chest. when he hears the racking sound he looks up in horror in to the eyes of a stone cold killer.... i bet at this point you think i am going to call saftey kill....nope. we lock eyes and i say to this kid "boom, you are dead" and pull the trigger....three BB's center mass. then just as he calls hit, a two man element goes down the trail past me. its hunting time... i let them both pass me....then i rack the slide and blast the second man from behind, and the first man spins on me....ol KA-BAR couldnt rack the slide fast enuff. i take the hit.

in the second game PAC got teamed up with shadowfox, so we all rolled together. i got in to a great position to assault the kill house when knuckles decided that my tan legs looked ACU ( who was on our side anyway) so he busted a team kill on me. that was funny.

third game we get defence of the kill house and the yard surrounding it. there was a fence/corregated tin wall at the edge of the yard. some of team shadow fox was using for cover. there was a heavy firefight going on and i was watchig it all. then suddenly a OPfor comes out of nowhere and rushed the fence line to pull a saftey kill on "hammer" team leader for shadowfox. as soon as i saw the perp i racked the slide and yelled "hammer GET DOWN!" as i did the OPfor appeared in my sight picture and tried to reach over the wall. i pulled the trigger just as Hammer dropped to the ground. three BB's flew...two hit OPfor dead in the face, and one whizzzed past hammers head by mere centimeters ( i measured using a replica of alex pearsons hot dog)!

also me and KK had a awsome time on a deep flank, each of us with a Shotty in our hands. as we infiltrated thier ranks from behind we would just peal them off one by one. one OPfor was behind a tree and thought he had the drop on KK. he ghosted his position by fireing on KK, so KK got into position and ley fly plastic death, and missed.....but the guy moved for cover around the tree right where KA-BAR was.....BOOM ANOTHER HEADSHOT at distance.

then there was a OPfor under the branches of a pine tree giving the left flank of the house a very difficult time.we positioned our selves behind him, and i began to sneak up.... i actually got under the branches, with in 8, no 6 feet, and aimed right for his left a$$ cheek and put three BBs strait up his bunghole. he stood up screaming...."why did you team kill me!", i looked at him and smiled.." i am not on your team. he calle dhit and is buddy that was in a forward position behind a tree looked back only to see KA-BAR charging out racking the slide on a shotty and putting him on the deadpool march.

KA-BAR is in the market for a TM shotgun. probably a spas or a M3 shorty.... i cant decide....* paging harley*.

what i am trying to say is...KA-BAR got his 15 bucks worth at the wildboar armoury shootout(not a CQB event).

KA-BAR out

edit: OOHYA you look mean with a shotty in hand, get another one and come hunting n00b with me....its the season!
KA-BAR

Postby Rogue Reaper » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:48 am

I am way beyond Noobs with Shotty,

Once I get done doing bear with toothpick I will level up and help you with your noob with shotty Quest
Rogue Reaper

Postby KA-BAR » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:14 pm

i will be experementing with diffrent shell loads to achive diffrent spead patterns.

someone on the forums posted that they were also doing the same, i cannot find the thread.

what i first need to know is, when the slide is racked, does the feed mechanisim, feed the first BB into the upper barrel, and the proceeding BBs into thier respective side barrels, or does it put BBs into random barrels with no consistancy.

i will be testing weights from .12 all the way up to .43 or .48. 6mm.

all my work will be based on TM spring shottys, so all questions or answers pertaining to gas 6mm or 8mm shotguns will not wok here in this thread. go hijack another or start your own.

i will post my findings here in the up comming weeks.
KA-BAR

Postby B to the RAD » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Its called an ambush KA-BAR I have killed at least 8 guys in under a minute with my shottie in a little ambush, and my battle buddy had a shottie too. several shottie kills with all 3 of my TM shotties. one of them saddly only shoots about 20 feet now and I still killed guys with it at the latest WW2 game I went too.
recondo graduate.
B to the RAD
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Shotguns & Launchers