Using a K9 in airsoft

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Using a K9 in airsoft

Postby hawkins117 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 pm

First off, I know what you all may be thinking- "Now why would you want to use a dog? It's just airsoft." I've been tossing around the idea of what it'd be like to use an asset like a K9 out in the field. As far as airsoft is concerned, that may only be limited to tracking scents of teammates and/or locating possible locations of enemy players, and also Milsim ideas like locating a downed pilot, or sniffing buildings for a "bomb" to be diffused. Naturally, the dog would have to be well-tempered and not aggressive, to prevent any possibilities of biting. Another thing I realize is the possibility of the K9 getting injured by any rounds hitting it since it wouldn't have eye protection. I say all this because of working with my German Shepherd who does amazing at sniffing scents and just about any job I work with him to learn. All this being said, any thoughts about it? Again, I understand it may be a far-fetched/impractical concept, but I've just always thought it'd add a realistic concept to Milsim or other games.
hawkins117
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: Using a K9 in airsoft

Postby Junto » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:28 pm

I've toyed with the concept from time to time. They make goggles for dogs, but I wouldn't trust people not to shoot the dog, even if all they saw was movement. There's too much in question in the way of liability if the dog gets hurt or hurts someone else. An airsoft field would be pretty terrifying to a dog who hasn't been tempered by strict controls and trained specifically for combat. It's fun on paper, but I'd hate to see almost any end result on the field; I don't think there's a good ending.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Jewish Ninja » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:05 am

I looked into Doggles, and sadly they are not ANSI rated. They are shatter resistant, but I haven't gotten a pair to test yet.

I love the idea of having a dog in game, but as Junto said, I don't trust people to not shoot the dog on accident/on purpose.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Cyclops » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:08 am

I'm a huge dog lover! I'd hate to see any dog out there just because some of these hits us players take could hurt the dog pretty bad. Doggles is one thing but what about the rest of his body? They have tender spots as well and after playing for say a 3 hr game he/she could get lite up pretty good. But again I'm a dog lover and I wouldn't like any dog in this sport (border line abuse).
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 am

Don't forget about pyro.

It'd be much more entertaining to see someone dress-up as a dog and get into it! :D

DOG LARP!!
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:41 pm

What you are explaining would also be a completely unfair advantage. Seeing as we don't want the dog shot, it becomes a completely invincible recon player.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Tyrant » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 pm

Agreed. Fun on paper, but horrible in execution for so many reasons. You can say all you want that the dog is trained and safe, but some people do have a fear of large dogs, and they would not feel secure, making the dog feel insecure. And no one can assure that the dog isn't going to get shot or be near someone setting off pyro or a grenade shell. The ONLY instance, and even this is a longshot, where there might be a chance of incorporating a K9 unit, is in a scripted CQC scenario, where someone trained to handle the dog has complete control over it....Even then, I would not attend or be involved with this game in any way, due to there being far too much risk involved.

Short Answer: If you want a dog on the field, find a friend to dress up like one.
"Never Run With Scissors" Col. Jack O'Neill US Air Force......Two Ls
Tyrant

Team: DRAT

Postby Catch22 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:15 pm

Gear up and take a picture of yourself (team) and dog, but keep it off the field.
Catch22

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 pm

That would make a great band name! "TOTALLY INVINCIBLE RECON PLAYER"
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Jmonday » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm

This just has bad news written all-over it. It seems like a good idea, being that the dog had eye protection, or face protection. But, if people that are part of animal boards find out, then you'll get some flack. And I'm pretty sure that would be considered animal cruelty, or something in that line. Good idea, but it just wont work. Especially if the dog is "invincible". Or if the dog, like mine, sees a airsoft gun, or anything that looks like it could hurt it's owner, could make the dog attack you, and it all ends up in a law-suit. Pretty dumb. Just keep airsoft dog-free. But, like Catch said, dress-up with it, but don't bring it on the field.
Jmonday
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Mindspeed » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Just wondering why my post was deleted? Was it considered flame?
Mindspeed
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Reeko » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

I think the obvious point is PETA will kick your %*% if they find out you want to have dogs being shot at for recreation. Jus sayin. lol
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jewish Ninja » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:14 am

PETA is a bunch of terrorists anyways. Who cares what those freaks think.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby ogrejager » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 am

I am lucky to have three dogs that choose to live with me.

I spend 40 or so days a year with a dog that loves guns and loves to hunt. He gets excited whenever I get out a gun.

An airsoft field is no place for a dog. I've contemplated the scripted event with a "guard dog" and even that's a bad idea.

Finally, do you really think your shepard would be able to actually "sniff out" individual players or be better at spotting enemies than you are? If they were, don't you think they'd be used that way? Military and LE pooches are trained their entire life and what do they do? Attack and find scents, right? Even they aren't used to track individual people.

Yeah, Doggles are not ANSI.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Aibo.

Just saying, is all...
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Next

Return to Community General Discussion