Good, CHEAP, radio set for team-wide usage?

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Good, CHEAP, radio set for team-wide usage?

Postby God » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 am

So, apparently the team I am on needs comms. Badly, sadly, everyone on the team is really pretty poor... Sooo, we're looking for a cheap, yet effective, radio set up. Preferably a headset type. I've heard good things about Motorola?

Looking to spend ~$20 per person.
God

Team: RR KBAB

Postby ogrejager » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 am

Cheap comms are worse than just yelling. Save your pennies and come back and USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION after you've got a bit more money.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby God » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:50 am

Well, no one is getting more money, so... If there's nothing usable in the price budget, just say so.
God

Postby Falcon7 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:53 am

I have these: http://tinyurl.com/3dgyaas Probably the best you're going to get at that price range. I'd recommended getting different headsets later if at all possible though.
Interested in joining Bop? Want to get rid of a broken gun? PM me.
Falcon7
Soldier
Soldier

Team: BoP

Postby God » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:04 am

Hm, don' look too bad.. Thanks.
God

Postby Archangel 06 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:33 pm

Ok, I'm gonna voice a pet peeve here. The "motorolas" everyone keeps talking about - that's not what they are. They are FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. Multiple companies make FRS radios. We also have people in the community that use Tri-Square (Truly their own system), Land Mobile, Business, CB? (Do we have anyone that actually uses CB?), Amateur, and I think some MURS (Multiple-Use Radio System). In those groupings are different price ranges. Each grouping also has its pro's and con's as far as performance. Please, decide what SYSTEM you will use, then decide what brand so as to figure out how much it will cost to outfit your team.
Nasty wrote:TM preforms so well because all TM's have little fairies living in the hopups and gearboxes that give awesome accuracy, but as soon as you take them apart and modify them, the fairies fly away.

It is common knowledge.
Archangel 06
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Haloeclipse » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:58 pm

I don't remember what model my radios are, but I think these are them. They work just fine for me and I've yet to have any problems with them. They are also in your price range.

http://www.frys.com/product/6178909?sit ... IN_RSLT_PG
Never ever insult Halo he is a god among men ~achillesnick~
Haloeclipse

Postby ogrejager » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Archangel 06 wrote:Ok, I'm gonna voice a pet peeve here. The "motorolas" everyone keeps talking about - that's not what they are. They are FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. Multiple companies make FRS radios. We also have people in the community that use Tri-Square (Truly their own system), Land Mobile, Business, CB? (Do we have anyone that actually uses CB?), Amateur, and I think some MURS (Multiple-Use Radio System). In those groupings are different price ranges. Each grouping also has its pro's and con's as far as performance. Please, decide what SYSTEM you will use, then decide what brand so as to figure out how much it will cost to outfit your team.

Well said.

-NL7ZP

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby BlacksunshineGAAS » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:58 am

http://www.amazon.com/TriSquare-TSX100- ... 820&sr=8-2

Get these. They are good. and low cost. only down side is you can't comm with other groups if they aren't using them. But if your whole squad get them you will have solid communications with each other. Don't waste your money on low cost motorolas. they are crap.
motherlover.
BlacksunshineGAAS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 am

You do know that the output power of the TriSquares is .5watt right? So they have no more advantage over FRS/GMRS radios other then working on the 900mhz band... So you can't talk further, you can't talk to other people on the field who don't use trisquares (admins, commanders, other squads,...). So really, what is the advantage of using a TriSquare radio over a Motorola/Midland/FMRS radio?

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Zack » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:11 pm

They're 900MGHZ. Also, no one can listen to you, if you feel that's an issue.
Zack
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Archangel 06 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Zack wrote:They're 900MGHZ. Also, no one can listen to you, if you feel that's an issue.

900 mhz has poorer performance in the environments we play in than 450, which is what the FRS uses...GMRS is also 450 , but with higher power than FRS because legally you should have an FCC license.

Only advantage of Tri-square is frequency-hopping, which gives you increased privacy.
Nasty wrote:TM preforms so well because all TM's have little fairies living in the hopups and gearboxes that give awesome accuracy, but as soon as you take them apart and modify them, the fairies fly away.

It is common knowledge.
Archangel 06
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BlacksunshineGAAS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:45 am

Jester316 wrote:You do know that the output power of the TriSquares is .5watt right? So they have no more advantage over FRS/GMRS radios other then working on the 900mhz band... So you can't talk further, you can't talk to other people on the field who don't use trisquares (admins, commanders, other squads,...). So really, what is the advantage of using a TriSquare radio over a Motorola/Midland/FMRS radio?

What I know is they have worked much better for me then the Motorola POS's that I've used in the past. If my whole squad is using Tri squares then who else do we need to talk to? We can keep one of the toy radios on hand if we happen to need to talk to a camp sure. But chances are its not going to work well anyhow. so Id much rather have clear coms with my unit then shitty coms with the rest of the world. Best part is we can cut out the the pointless chatter and the idiot that can't keep their fingers off the call button.
motherlover.
BlacksunshineGAAS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Saviour » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Archangel 06 wrote:Ok, I'm gonna voice a pet peeve here. The "motorolas" everyone keeps talking about - that's not what they are. They are FRS (Family Radio Service) radios. Multiple companies make FRS radios. We also have people in the community that use Tri-Square (Truly their own system), Land Mobile, Business, CB? (Do we have anyone that actually uses CB?), Amateur, and I think some MURS (Multiple-Use Radio System). In those groupings are different price ranges. Each grouping also has its pro's and con's as far as performance. Please, decide what SYSTEM you will use, then decide what brand so as to figure out how much it will cost to outfit your team.

very well said. btw, i use cb radios.
http://www.midlandradio.com/CB-Radio.WYQ/75-785
Saviour
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Tactical Equipment